Remember how I posted about our spooky-over-night-castle stay in Poland? Well I never finished telling about the rest of our trip. The next morning we headed back to my favorite pottery-shopping town, Bolesławiec. My parents have been here before, and they were excited to come back again to add to their pottery collection.
We went to all of the usual stops, but for some reason, I didn't pull out my camera until we got to Andy's. Andy's is by far the smallest store front that we visit. It also has the most unique designs. And I love the fact that we can watch the workers painting while we are there. Here is Dad watching a girl paint:
It's amazing to me how much the paint changes after it's put in the kiln. Take a close look at the bowl she's painting:
After it's finished, the colors and style will match this 9x13 pan:
My kids came in to see what was taking us so long. Mom was picking out matching stuff for Lee and Tricia. Lee and Tricia came out to visit over a year ago and found a style they liked at Andy's. And like everyone I have ever spoken with, they wished they had gotten more while they were here. I'm glad Mom was able to find a few things:
If you want to shop at Andy's, their contact information is next to Mom and Dad. Ha ha! Am I an advertisement or what!
When we came back out to the car, we found David driving... good thing this place is located outside of town. I think it's time we go get some food:
We went to the Blue Beetroot for lunch. I strongly recommend it. Their food is really good, and their prices are fantastic. The Blue Beetroot is also a hotel, but I wouldn't think it could compete with staying in a castle:
The restaurant is located on the lowest floor of the building, which was once an old stone barn. The stone and archways are pretty cool. We also learned of the legend of the blue beetroot. Here it is word for word from the website, www.bluebeetroot.com:
Legend has it that in Poland around 1791 the fields of Lower Silesia near Boleslawiec were all planted with beetroots. One of the most popular uses for the beetroot was moonshine. The alcohol was secretly brewed in the cellars of the barn (today it only contains fire wood to keep our Boutique B&B hotel guests extra warm).
Only a few locals knew that the cart of beetroots coming from the barn hid a secret stash of moonshine below. The story goes that one winter as the farmer left the yard the horses bolted and slipped badly on the icy road. The whole lot, farmer, cart, horses, moonshine and the beetroots fell into the pond. Despite dredging, everything mysteriously disappeared without a trace...
The story passed down by locals for generations says even now a single blue beetroot will occasionally float to the surface of the pond, it is a strange blue colour and of course it is completely impregnated with alcohol!
After dinner, Mom and Dad enjoyed the fire before we headed off to our next destination:










No comments:
Post a Comment