16 March 2011

Würzburg

I did not take this picture. I borrowed it from Wikipedia. But I wanted to show you what we saw from the freeway on our way to Frankfurt. When we saw this, we knew we wanted to stop and visit:

Here we are standing in front of the Würzburg Residenz. It is not the same building as above:


It is a palace that was built in the 1700's for the Prince-Bishop of Würzburg, Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn (that's a mouthful). It reminds me a bit of the style of Versailles.

Because we arrived late in the afternoon and we wanted to see a fortress up on the hill, we did not tour inside of the Residenz:



We walked around downtown for a little while, and we came across this old statue of a man and a horse. We couldn't stop laughing at the mask someone had put on the man. Do you see it?



Finally, we arrived at the fortress on the hill. It is the Fortress Marienberg. It was the home of the Prince-Bishops of Würzburg for nearly five centuries, before they moved into the new Residenz.

This is the entrance to the fortress:



This is the Scherenberg gate, which was added along with a wall that encircled the entire place in 1482:



The wall:


TJ and Erick trying to play with a ball:



This tower is bigger than it looks in this picture. The kids were excited to see where the "real" Rapunzel was kept (ha ha):



Bailey took a turn with the camera so that I could prove I was with the family on this adventure:



My beautiful family:



Since Erick and TJ were unable to budge a previous "ball," Joey thought she would show them up:



TJ found a hole in the wall and climbed in for a picture:



We had a fantastic time in Würzburg, but there were many things we didn't see, so we will be back...



6 comments:

Bump and Erin said...

Looks like a very cool city! And your hair looks cute (from the little bit I can see it).

We're All Wright said...

Finally a picture of your HAIR!!! I have been waiting. When I saw the picture of TJ in the hole in the wall I thought he was in a hole way down in the ground. Made my claustrophobia get a little excited until I read what you said. I loved your trip and wish we could have been there too! So much fun!

Tera said...

I have been styling my hair more spikey. But since we went to the temple this day, I kept it a bit more conservative.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tera, it's Kirsten...Mary Anne's sister. I was talking to her today. She said that she had forgotten the name of the person I know here in Logan and that you didn't make the connection about who it was. It's Nicole (and Talon) Anderson. I guess you knew them from Aggie Village. Small world! Hope you don't mind me blog stalking...I especially love to see my lil sis on here. Thanks for taking care of her halfway around the world!

Glora said...

How fun. These pictures are beautiful! It looks like you had a wonderful time! Hugs!

Mary Anne said...

Okay so for some reason this post didn't come up to the top of my blog roll and I'm just now seeing it! I love it! And I'm also really really bummed that we weren't there. You guys are such a fun family. Love the pictures. They are so incredible. I'm glad you'll be back because I need to go. You guys are so cute!