14 February 2010

Normandy and the D-Day sites

Our first stop was Arromanches, the place where the Allied forces set up an artificial port out in the water and built bridges that attached it to the beaches:


The large platform/barge behind us is part of that port. You can see several other parts of it out in the water along the skyline.

Next we headed to the American Cemetery located near Omaha Beach:


It was humbling to see the mass number of gravestones:


Not all of the soldiers were identified:


Here is a view of Omaha beach from the cemetary:



Our third stop was at Pointe Du Hoc. This is where the Army Rangers had to scale a cliff to take over a stronghold built by the Germans:



Many of the bunkers and battery emplacements are still there:




The land all over the top of the cliff is pock-marked from aerial and naval bombardment:




Some of the holes made from Allied Bombs are really deep:



On the way back to our hotel, we were intrigued by signs pointing to a German cemetery. We had to take a look. Many German soldiers who died during WWII are buried here:


I know I haven't demonstrated a lot of emotion during this blog post, but the whole visit was moving. I got a lump in my throat more than once as I learned about the strength and sacrifices made by the American soldiers. I definitely recommend visiting this beautiful area.

Last night after all our travels, Erick took me out to dinner in a little fishing village. We ate raw oysters for our appetizer. Then Erick had clams, and I had Salmon. It was amazing! We finished off with a cheese plate and some amazing creme brulee. It was almost as good as Erin and Bump's creme brulee. (If you haven't tried it, give them a call. I'm sure they won't mind. It is mmm, mmm good!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing! What a special experience>

Stephanie Dickson said...

It looks like you are having an amazing trip. I had a similar feeling when I visited Gettysburg. There is something sacred about a battlefield.

Bump and Erin said...

I love the spirit of places like that! I am so glad that you got to take Erick there. And I love how your creme brulee was ALMOST as good as mine! You flatter me so! :)

Bridget said...

How amazing! That so fun you're able to go on a trip together and we're more than a little jealous of the places you're getting to see. Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

What an experience. Just Amazing.

Tracy Collings said...

So cool! Looks amazing.

Rachel said...

That bomb hole is really crazy and all those unmarked graves, so sad.