19 February 2010

Graduation re-visited

Some may think that a trip to Paris and Normandy would be sufficient for a perfect Valentine's Day. And I would agree.

Erick, however, did not agree. He had one more gift in the works. When we got home from our trip, he presented me with this:


I'm referring to the framed degree on the right. That's right. He took my bachelor's degree and had it framed. I must admit, I was moved to tears. He told me he was proud of me for accomplishing so much, especially while he was away for over a year training for the Army.

I placed it in the office.

I don't think this picture shows how beautiful the framing really is. The inside matting is a dark burgundy, and the outside matting is a grayish suede that compliments the reflection of the metallic lettering. The frame itself is so me. Erick did a great job.

After he gave me this incredible gift, I began reminiscing on my time at Utah State. There were so many miracles that happened to get me started and then get me through. There were so many people who influenced me and helped make it possible for me to graduate. So bear with me as I list (in no particular order) some people and organizations that deserve much thanks:

  • Bishop and Barbara Pace from Lee's Summit - urged the youth to get an education to better serve the Lord. Little did they know that their urging fell on the ears of one of the youth leaders.
  • My mom and dad - always made me feel like I could accomplish anything as long as it was the will of the Lord and I tried my best. They also encouraged me to get involved at school, which led to my scholarships.
  • Susan and Stephen - stressed the importance of education to their children and assisted them in any way they could. They also offered so much support while Erick was away, coming up frequently to visit and allowing us to visit them and play.
  • Jenn Putnam - classmate from long ago turned Dean of Admissions, who gave me a full-tuition leadership scholarship (from my experience at Snow College), which allowed me to attend Utah State full time.
  • The federal government - approved me for federal grants, which covered the cost of rent, books, and personal needs.
  • USU's research grants - allowed my children to participate in a study, thus paying for 80% of pre-school and child care costs.
  • Brother Nance - the best home teacher I have ever had. He checked on me regularly and assisted our family through tough times while Erick was away.
  • Lorene Nance - best friend ever. She and her husband came by the house regularly to take the kids on walks or take them out for ice cream. She also sat with us every week during sacrament meeting (church), so I didn't have to try to control three crazy kids by myself.
  • Bridget and Damaris - the best neighbors ever! They were such a support. They watched my kids when I needed a break. Their kids and my kids played in the back yard. They invited us over for much needed social time and an occasional meal.
  • Katie Willson - fellow Army wife. Kept me sane through the hardest first months away from Erick. We planned fun dinners and outings. We practically lived together over the summer, and our kids had a blast together.
  • Erin - my awesome sister, who always made herself available when I needed someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry on. She also allowed me and the kids to crash at her house whenever I needed an escape from hectic school life.
  • Erick - I can't forget my amazing husband, who helped me look into classes everywhere we have lived until it finally worked out. He filled me with confidence and encouraged me to do my best. He then bragged about me when I excelled (this probably is not a positive thing, but it sure felt good to know that he was pleased with my accomplishments). :)
  • So many more - I know I have not named everyone that was there for me. So many miracles happened during that time. So many people supported me and influenced me. Know that you are appreciated.
I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to attend school and graduate. Thank you!


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray for graduating! It still feels strange to think about us being completely done at Utah State and on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Far away but NEVER forgotten. I think about you guys all the time, and often when Mark and I are talking about what we want for our kids, behavior-wise, I end up saying, "like Tera's kids." :) You've inspired and taught us in so many ways! Love you all!

Pam Emmons said...

What a sweet husband! That is such an amazing gift!

Bridget said...

We love you so much, Tera! I am so proud of what you did here, you were seriously inspirational and I know that it will be such a great example to your kids that you worked so hard even when your husband was away.

Bump and Erin said...

What a great gift! Isn't it great to look back on now and say that you did it? Good job lady!

Damaris said...

I love the framed diploma! It looks great. I think you are absolutely amazing for all that you accomplished while you were here. And I think your kids are amazing too. We miss you all!

Carly said...

aw what a sweet husband! you deserve it- i really don't know how you did it with everything on your plate, and not only did you graduate- you received honors! way to go!

Tracy Collings said...

So cool! We're all very proud of you.

Unknown said...

You are amazing Tera. I love you and I am so proud of you.

We're All Wright said...

I love it!!! Wow he has good taste! We are so proud of you Tera!