12 December 2009

Weiden Christmas Market

Last night, we decided to drive to downtown Weiden to see the annual Christmas Market. This Christmas Market has been a yearly tradition in Weiden since the 16th century. Knowing this, we couldn’t miss it.

This is the entrance to the market:

DSCN4775

My camera cannot truly capture the lights and magic of the evening. There was a delicious smell in the air. I guess it smelled like a German Christmas.

In case you are wondering, yes, that is a miniature pony on the bottom right hand corner of the picture. The poor creature looked sad and tired. I didn’t let the kids sit on him.

Near the entrance, there was a glass enclosure of a nativity scene. One side had the manger scene and another side had an angel visiting the shepherds with their flocks. The kids loved it:

DSCN4751

Here, once again, is the Rathaus, or city hall:

DSCN4752

This year, they turned the entire building into an advent calendar. Every night at five o’clock, they open a window. Then they give treats to all the children who come to watch.

We watched them open door eleven last night. Inside the window was a little boy and St. Nikolas. We couldn’t see inside very well from our angle, but it was still fun!

DSCN4764

After the advent calendar window was opened, we headed over to a shack that was serving this:

DSCN4767

I have no idea what it is called, but it is a round cake-like thing filled with apple and covered in vanilla sauce. Erick and I thoroughly enjoyed this treat.

For the kids we ordered donuts, which they made right in front of us:

DSCN4768

TJ thought they were especially good:

DSCN4770

The night was cold, but we were prepared with our strumpfhosen, and we made good use of the portable fires lit throughout the market square:

DSCN4756

We came home with one new Christmas decoration:

DSCN4776

A Christmas train.

But this is no ordinary train, it is a smoker, an incense burner. These are huge around here. We place a piece of incense in the engine, and smoke comes out the smoke pipe. The kids thought it was amazing.

Here’s a better look at the incense burning:

DSCN4780

I was glad it did not set off our smoke alarm.

Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like so much fun. You and your kids are making memories that you will always cherish. So totaly fun!!

Brianne said...

I'm continually amazed at all of the incredible adventures you are all having! Lance told me the other day that he could transfer to Germany.. We would definitely like that! (as soon as I learn German!) :) Merry Christmas!

Tracy Collings said...

What fun traditions they have. I would love a life sized advent calendar. So cool!

We're All Wright said...

Wow! And this is in your town! I wonder if other towns do that!!! I love love love the socks... do they have my size??? I'd send the money but they probably don't make them that big. I hate being cold and they seem perfect!

Anonymous said...

Christmas in Germany is amazing. That is the most beautiful and unbelievable advent calendar I have ever seen. How fun for you guys.

The Crookston Fam said...

Everything looks magical and wonderful in Germany! We want to visit you! Too bad by the time we save up for it, you'll probably have moved already. Keep having tons of fun, though! We love reading about it!

Jeppson Clan said...

what wonderful memories you are making! beautiful!