17 August 2016

Summer vacation: Plitvice Lakes National Park

Our first stop on our family vacation was the Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia. We joined the crowds and thousands of other tourists to see the lakes and waterfalls of this beautiful protected region. The water was so clear, we could see to the bottom of all the lakes. In the shallow water, the fish almost looked like they were floating.

It was super crowded, though I tried not to show it too much in the pictures. The crowds, however, made it a little difficult to try to do delayed time shots. It was often hard just to stop on our path to take a quick picture because the path was narrow, and we were not allowed to leave it.  

The weather was warm, but there was always a nice breeze, and most of our hiking path was in the shade.

David was obsessed with all the fish. He would have been content to sit and watch the fish and ducks all day. I, on the other hand, wanted to see the falls. 































































































After a lot of hiking, we took a boat across the largest lake. After a quick rest and an ice cream treat, Joey and I continued hiking to the big falls while Erick and the other kids began the trek back to the car.









































Erick was planning to come pick us up at entrance number one of the park, but guess who had the parking payment ticket in her purse? That would be me. So Joey and I found a taxi, and caught a ride back to entrance two 16 kilometers away. I'm so grateful we found a taxi, and cheap!

Then we went out for dinner to a cute local place. We asked for Jumbo pizzas to share - knowing that European pizzas are always smaller than the American sizes. Boy were we surprised! And full!







I took these photos from the balcony of our cute little apartment located about 10 minutes from the national park. I love booking apartments. I feel like we get to know the countryside and the people so much better.












No comments: