22 December 2015

Christmas vacation - Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial

When we arrived at the American Cemetery, it was cold and raining. I was a little irritated with the weather. I felt that the cold rain and wind made it difficult to relax and soak in the meaning of this sacred place. As I was trying to take pictures without the rain hitting my camera lens, I reflected on the possible last moments of the Soldiers buried here. They too were unable to relax. They did not deal with rain blowing into their faces; they dealt with bullets coming at them and their friends. Their rest came with death.

Suddenly the weather did not seem so terrible any longer. I am thankful for the sacrifice of these brave Soldiers.











The Normandy American Cemetery overlooks Omaha beach and contains the graves of 9,387 American Soldiers. 1,557 names are inscribed on the Walls of the Missing.



























No comments: