Our battalion held its last farewell dinner. That means they "farewell" or say good-bye to anyone who is still left. Since the 172nd is shutting down, there are no more "hails" or welcomes.
On this night, they "farewelled" Erick and several other officers and NCO's (non-commissioned officers). LTC Lindsay said some very nice things about Erick and gave him the battalion colors framed along with Erick's name, rank, and units. It was a very special night:
Apparently Erick was saying something really funny. At least I thought so...
At the end of the evening, the senior leaders presented this painting to LTC Lindsay. It is a painting of the 28th Infantry Regiment at the battle of Cantigny during WWI. It is called I Have Assumed Command and represents the moment after the battalion commander and all other battalion leadership were killed, and a company commander took over the battalion:
LTC Lindsay teared up a bit when they presented it to him. He said my favorite quote of the night. "I am both proud and embarrassed by my emotion." I sure like LTC Lindsay. He's genuine and good:
Here is the group who attended the dinner:
We sat next to our dear friends Mary Anne and Dusty. They deserve a post all their own, so I will just say that I love these guys. And I'm so glad they sat next to us:
I had the most amazing meal. Almond trout. Before I ordered it, I learned that they have the trout alive, swimming in the back of the restaurant. They don't kill it until it's ordered. I know that trout can get very fishy when it's not super fresh. Oh man! It was so good. I want to go back just for this meal. Forgive the fishhead. This is Europe after all:
I know we have been immensely blessed by the company and battalion leadership with whom we have worked. I will deeply miss this place and these people. I pray our future assignments will be half as amazing:
There were a few others that were "farewelled" that evening that I would like to remember.
Here is DeShane and Heather. DeShane was Erick's company commander when Erick was a Platoon Leader and an Executive Officer (XO). Erick worked under him during most of his deployment to Afghanistan. I worked with DeShane for a year when I was the FRG leader. He is an amazing man. I sure appreciate all he has taught Erick. Heather joined him here in Germany after the deployment. I have loved getting to know her. They make a great pair:
This is Brandon and Nichole. Brandon was the man who drove me and all the kids from the hotel on post to our new house in Weiden nearly four years ago. It wasn't his job. He just stepped in to help a family in need. He continued to be a friend to Erick throughout our time here. He has given Erick many rides to and from work. I have gotten to know Nichole from our Lady Lions "coffee" group. She is fun and kind. I am so grateful to have known them both:
I don't know CPT Tik very well. He actually has a really long Russian name that I can't spell. But to Erick, he is CPT Tik, and he has been Erick's workout partner every morning for the last six or seven months. They do kettlebells. Apparently, it's a great workout:













3 comments:
I love how the old German man photo-bombed us on almost every shot.
Thanks for sharing Tera. It has been an adventure just following all of your. Love you guys!!
Ha ha I didn't notice the old German man until reading Erick's comment. That's hilarious. You look so cute in that picture of you laughing! Your outfit was so fun. And I really love the one of you guys holding the colors by the flag. And thank you thank you for taking that picture of us! I had fun that night, and your fish was awesome!
Post a Comment