23 August 2012

play date... in a castle?

My friend Anna invited me and a group of friends to bring all of our kids out for a play date. This is where we went:


The origins of this castle date back to before the 1300's. But I think the more interesting history is more recent. A man named Hermann Goering was raised in this castle. He grew up to become the second in command of the Third Reich. He would bring his "coworkers" to the castle for hunting trips. Eventually he built a bomb shelter underneath the castle with it's own air and water supply. To this day, there are still rumors that stolen treasure from the war is hidden somewhere on the castle grounds.

Now, just in case you think this looks like a terrible location for little kids to play, take a look at the court yard:












We also brought lunches for a picnic. The kids were playing, running, and climbing:
















We even explored the castle itself. The entrance:






They have rooms for rent within the castle. Vacation anyone?






View from the door of the bunker. I can't believe I didn't photograph the bunker. But then again, it had a pretty bad stench inside. I didn't stay long. TJ kept going back inside looking for treasure:















The tower:






Look carefully in the photo below. You'll see TJ sticking his little head out the tiny tower window. When I took the picture, I thought it was cute. Then I climbed the tower myself, and I about had a heart attack. It was so high. Plus, to stick his head out that window, he had to climb up the wall then lie down on his belly in the window sill. Just thinking about it again makes my stomach churn. But back to the cute boy. Hi TJ!






Top of the tower. Toilet anyone? Look out below!






Great view:


It was such a great day. This place was so fun to see. It's less than an hour from my house. So if you come visit, I could take you. Time is running out.... I thought you should know. Ha ha!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so fun!! I can't believe how fast your kids are growing.