06 July 2009

The "Spouse Mafia" and the 4th of July

DSCN3819 

The four women in the photo above (Jill, Bobbi, Tera, and Iris) have recently been labeled the Spouse Mafia. Allow me to explain:

Last week all of our husbands were away in the field for some training. With our husbands away, we did a lot of socializing and planning. In fact, we planned an entire 4th of July celebration.

When our husbands returned, we informed them that they would be attending a barbeque while wearing beautiful tie-dyed shirts.

Bobbi's husband, Eric, labeled us the Spouse Mafia because we were consorting without our husbands knowledge. In our defense, none of our husbands had cell phone reception while they were in the field, so we could not get their input on our party planning.

Before our husbands returned to us, we tie-dyed shirts for the kids and the hubbies. I don't have any pictures of Jill on tie-dye day because she was so kind to take all these pictures for us. Thanks Jill!

Here I am with TJ, Bailey, and Joey:

DSCN3738

Here is Joey standing next to Bobbi. So many colors, so difficult to choose:

DSCN3748 

Here is Iris helping her two kids Sean and Caroline:

DSCN3739

My pants became the casualty of the day. So sad! I really liked these jeans:

DSCN3766 

Voila! Our masterpieces unveiled on Independence Day:

DSCN3791

Erick was the only husband/father to wear his tie-dye at the barbeque. He is such a good sport. But he couldn't disappoint  his kids after all their hard work.

During all of our planning, I mentioned to the other wives that I would love to have homemade Oreo cookies at the party. To my disbelief, NONE of them had ever seen, tasted, or heard of homemade Oreo cookies. So I made them myself for the first time.

I need to thank Carie for posting her amazing recipe so that I could steal it. They turned out beautifully! Everyone liked them. I'm glad they were such a hit:

DSCN3807

Our big party plans were diminished a bit by lots and lots of rain. It didn't stop us, however. We still had a blast.

The rain kept the party a little more intimate than we had planned. We stayed inside for most of the afternoon. Our husbands still braved the weather to get the barbeque prepped:

DSCN3773

Erick tried to stay dry under this stylish pink umbrella:

DSCN3775 

Instead of the water-balloon fights and sidewalk-chalk coloring contests that we had planned for the kids, we had Legos, board games, and coloring books in the house:

DSCN3782

The adults even contributed to some fun. Here is Eric Towle pulling TJ around on a miniature wagon:

DSCN3784 

Finally, the rain slowed enough for some smoke bombs:

DSCN3799

And we went out for some outdoor socializing:

 DSCN3809

Later that evening we drove over to see the fireworks.

DSCN3815

DSCN3816

It was a great day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope it's okay that I'm blog stalking you. Your family picture is gorgeous. Your husband is a trooper for wearing that shirt all day. Woot!

Brianne said...

You are such a great example of being "anxiously engaged!" I love all of your ideas! Thanks for sharing them. I will be blog stalking you for years to get ideas of what to do with my kids! Keep having fun!

Bump and Erin said...

The shirts turned out great! Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Damaris said...

What a fun 4th! I love the shirts.

Daydreams and Reality said...

I'm so glad your family is all together again...sounds like everyone is having fun and making friends! I miss you!!!

We're All Wright said...

Why am I not surprised that Erick would wear the shirt and you would come up with creative ways to enjoy the 4th and enjoy friends?!!!

Carie said...

What fun shirts and a great day!